Installing an Audio Card - CMI8738 on X10DRL-i with Fedora 34
I am the owner of a motherboard named X10DRL-i from Supermicro. Regarding its specification, there is no audio component on this motherboard which means that I cannot listen to music or do voice call.
Of course, there are few tricks to output/input audio via USB components however it’s not a method that I would like to use in long term.
I really don’t want to waste an USB socket on this motherboard.
First of all, this is the motherboard layout that I rererence from Supermicro.
Right now, I am using a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, as a consequence, I cannot test
CPU 1 SLOT 5 PCI-E 3.0 X16
socket on the motherboard. Meanwhile, after testing all available sockets, there is only one socket
which works, it’s
PCH SLOT 1 PCI-E 2.0.
lspci gives more information.
Other failed tests lead to an unknown conflict with Graphic Card. A dark blank screen with flashing cursor.
After installing the audio card on
PCH SLOT 1 PCI-E 2.0. I have tested the
Pink Socket - Mic In and
Green Socket - Front Out. They all works flawlessly.
Of course, it’s a must to configure an audio setting on Fedora 34, this is my audio setting.
In case, you wonder my server specification:
- OS: Fedora 34 (Workstation Edition) x8
- Kernel: 5.17.5-100.fc34.x86_64
- Desktop Environment: GNOME 40.9
- CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4 (56) @ 3.300GHz
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- Supermicro X10DRL-i motherboard, https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10DRL-i
- Cmedia CMI8738 Audio Card, https://www.cmedia.com.tw/products/EOL_PRODUCTS/CMI8738-MX
- CARD ÂM THANH -CARD SOUND PCI EXPRESS 1X PC(PCI Express to Sound 5.1), https://shopee.vn/CARD-%C3%82M-THANH-CARD-SOUND-PCI-EXPRESS-1X-PC(PCI-Express-to-Sound-5.1)-i.10383705.4577157409